Monday, February 6, 2012

Be Present.


Summit to the Summit
<<//Read my post, below. Then watching the film, above//>>
Summit on the Summit: Kilimanjaro - MTV Shows - Full Episodes

     Last week I saw a Tweet which read "Climb Kilimanjaro for a good cause? Yes, Please!" From that tweet the wheels my head started turning once again. My love and fascination for Mount Kilimanjaro started two years ago. Before that my ignorant mind only registered it as a mountain located in Africa. But after watching a documentary on MTV about the mysterious mountain, a seed was planted in my head and I wanted to learn more.

     In 2010, I stumbled upon a documentary made by MTV called Summit on the Summit. It is an inspiring story about how a man gather together a group of his friends, who came from all different walks of life, in order to raise awareness and bring change to the global water crisis. First of all, I am still amazed that MTV actually went out side of the box and produced an educational film, instead of their typical documentary which show cased teen pregnancies or benign drinking. After recently watching it again, I would characterized  it as combining Bear Grylls's "Man vs. Wild" survival skill with Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservation" philosophical insights.

     Every time I hear the word "Kilimanjaro," it brings back the urge of wanting to see how far I can push my body and my mind. For inexperienced mountaineers, Mount Kilimanjaro is considered a good alternative to the Yosemite or Everest of the climbing world. It is made up of three volcanic crater that varies in size and rises up to 19,341 ft. Climbing it consists more of trekking around these craters instead of danging off of massive stabs of granite. One day, maybe within this year or a few years down the road, I will take this challenge.

     In the mean time, I have decided to share this documentary with you (my friends). I hope that it will open your mind and heart about wanting to bring more awareness to some of the social issues that might not be happening in front of our face but definitely occurring behind our back on a daily basis. I can sit here and type up list of reasons why I find this film so inspiring, and also why I find it a bit of a cliche. But that would be boring and tedious. So, I want you to watch the film and take what you want from it. I hope that it gets the wheels in your head turning and possibly motivate you to take the first step towards putting yourself out there and pursing what you want to do while helping others around the world.

     From the documentary, I learned that you should try to take the time, in this life time, to do something worth wild for yourself and someone else. As an individual, we are all capable of helping ourselves. And sometime, as a individuals, we will try to take it one step further and try to help others. But the only problem with that scenario is that sometime we do not succeed in the latter step. Therefore, we must learn to come together and help each other with our dreams, quests and journeys (especially when it involves help others). For a long, I've been motivated to step outside of my comfort zone to see if I can conquer some of my passions in life. Recently, I've discovered that through the help of social medias I can share my passion with my friends and see if anyone share my same passion or can help me along my journey. I am very grateful for all of the support and advise that my friends have given me. And I look forward to hearing more of what my friends has to say.

     At the beginning of the year, I participated in a "Handmade Pay it Forward" project, which basically means that someone will make something "handmade" for me and in return I'm was supposed to "Pay it Forward" by doing a similar project of my own. Since Valentine's Day is around the corner and I am spending it as a single gal this year, I want to spread the love to some of my friends. So for my Handmade Pay it Forward project: I will send any of you a handmade heart "felt" Valentine's Day card via mail if you watch the documentary and post a comment by Wednesday (February 8, 2012).

     Two Rules:
  1. If you participate, you should try your best to replicate with your own version of "Paying it Forward." 
  2. Comment with you ideas on how I should go about Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for a good cause, and if you are interested in coming with me, I am looking for optimistic climbers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Grace and Emerald